Day 2 in 31 Days to Cherish Our Home
Do you ever struggle to find the right curtains for your space? I always have the perfect curtains planned out in my mind, and spend hours searching online and in stores for them. Finally, I find a stunning curtain! ... and then I realize it's $80 a panel. Um, are you kidding me? I've learned that ingenuity in the window coverings department is a great way to get what you want - and maybe something better. Refusing to settle (especially on something expensive) is a great way to cherish what you have. When I spend a lot of money on something that's just "okay", it leads to regret rather than knowing that I have put myself into something I love. This curtain panel is just a small example of that. I think it is the perfect touch to bring the room together.
I knew I wanted yellow striped curtains in the nursery, and that something sheer wouldn't do much good. I found a white grommet curtain on clearance at JcPenney's, and had yellow polka dot fabric on hand. I measured the length of the curtain, divided it but the number of stripes I wanted and measured away. I laid out the white curtain on the floor and laid the yellow strips on top (I had already sewed under the edges in oder to get the right width and length. I then pinned the strips in place and took the curtain up to my sewing machine to sew them down. It was a quick fix to a white curtain, and makes a huge difference in the room. I think I spent $25 on the entire project. Below you can see the curtain closed in broad daylight. Some light still shines through, and I left the blind in place to help with that. It is a "blackout" curtain, but that only goes so far in white. So far, Emmalyn hasn't seemed to be affected by it at all, and the curtain still blocks the brightness of the morning sun in her window.
There is a freak-out moment in almost every project I take on (due to my clumsiness or bad math skills or a combination thereof). As I was ironing the curtain to lay it out perfectly straight, my iron started spitting rust all over the white curtain. At first I thought I had ironed over crumbs (ha!) and kept going - and then I freaked out when I realized it was rust. I may have had a little pregnancy meltdown as I thought I had ruined the curtain, but Eric helped me realize that I could just rearrange the stripes to cover the stains. Good thing his logic is readily available in my projects, and to generally save the day.