Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

United Methodist General Conference

I have been a delegate to General Conference three times and yet I still have no idea what to expect, but my heart is filled with the usual trepidation I experience beforehand.  I can face conflict, but it wears on me.  Because we are Christians with many opinions, there is bound to be heated discussion and even conflict at General Conference (which isn't always a bad thing).  But it's still not easy.  Saturday night, I had my first bad dream about GC.  I was  in the middle of a protest I didn't to want to be a part of, and I spoke words that offended people.  I woke up tired.  But then, I went to church and we sang this song:

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all
I'm seeking You like a precious jewel
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool
You are my all in all

Jesus, Lamb of God
Holy is Your name
Jesus, Lamb of God
Holy is Your name


Taking my cross my sin my shame
Raising again I praise Your name
You are my all in all
When I fall down You pick me up
When I run dry You fill my cup
You are my all in all


This is my comfort.  Jesus is my all in all.  I was sitting in the midst of our confirmation class, and the boys around me were forced to hear my belt out these words.  They already think I'm crazy so it didn't phase them.  But in the midst of it all, Jesus is my strength.

This year, I am traveling to GC with my husband, Eric, and our nine-month old daughter Emmalyn.   I'm blessed that my dad has walked this journey with me and will be a delegate as well, and my mom will watch Emmalyn during our sessions.  Not many people are fortunate enough to serve at GC with family, and I don't take that gift lightly (in fact, my brother Michael was first reserve delegate in 2008 so he knows the journey very well).  Our bags are packed for twelve sleeps and our flight's set to get in at noon.  Now all that's left to do is keep. on. praying.  Please join me in praying for our denomination.  Pray for strength, wisdom, and most of all, God's love to reign.

In case you're curious, here's some information about General Conference:

  • The General Conference meets every four years with delegates from the worldwide United Methodist Church.  This is the voice of our denomination and the way in which we speak.  Legislation comes to us, and if approved, this legislation goes into our UM Book of Discipline.
  • A basic understanding of how the legislative process works
  • Our daily schedule (set to change throughout the week, but this is a basic idea. Our first official gathering will be worship tomorrow at 4 p.m.)
  • The official site for GC 2012







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Know that your comments will make my day even more delightful, so go ahead and type away :)