Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ministry balance

Lately, I have been struggling with the balance between relational openness and accountability in youth ministry.  I want to take kids to deeper spiritually, but also want to meet them where they are.  I think this is a healthy tension in my life, but I need tools to keep me walking down the right path.  This article is helping me shape my thoughts this morning, specifically these questions about shaping ministry:
  • "Is any aspect of what I’m thinking of doing going to dishonor God?
  • Will making this shift help people see Jesus or just make them like me and our student ministry more?
  • In doing what I’m planning, will I really be accomplishing the commission to make disciples?
  • Will doing what I’m planning make it easier or more difficult for me to show students once they are saved what following Christ really looks like?
  • Is my motivation to fill a seat or to fill the Kingdom?"

I never want to participate in or lead a ministry that's based around making kids like me, but how do I draw kids to Christ through relationship without doing this?

1 comment:

  1. Can the two not go hand in hand? If you are living a Christ-centered life and Christ shines through you as you work with kids to bring them closer to Him, wouldn't it make sense that kids would like, respect, and try to have a relationship with Christ like you do? I know the goal isn't about you and getting them to like you, but it could still be a pleasant bi-product, couldn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Know that your comments will make my day even more delightful, so go ahead and type away :)